We believe that education should be a Commons. Brisbane Free University therefore opens an autonomous space in which the empowering processes of teaching and learning belong to everybody. We believe that a more just world is possible and that this is one way of bringing it into being. We want to re-imagine education by bringing conversation and critical thought into the heart of the city. We want to challenge the divide between the academic sphere and the public forum, between the sandstone and the street corner, and remember the sheer, simple joy of learning for its own sake.
In simple terms, Brisbane Free University:
- has no fixed address
- values free access to knowledge
- sees the human aspect of educational processes as paramount and therefore situates discussions in a physical space, as opposed to online
- changes learning structures by giving equal time to speakers as to open discussion
- involves no exchange of money
- offers no accreditation
- operates independently of any political organisation, NGO, formal university or funding body
If you would like to join our mailing list to receive updates about our upcoming sessions, please send an email to the above address.